What is BCA (Bachelor of Computer Applications)?
The full form of BCA is Bachelors in Computer Application. BCA is a three year undergraduate degree programme for candidates wishing to delve into the world of Computer languages. One of the most popular options to get started with a career in Information Technology, the course gives you an insight into the world of computers and its applications.
A BCA degree is considered to be at par with a BTech/BE degree in Computer Science or Information Technology. The degree helps interested students in setting up a sound academic base for an advanced career in Computer Applications.
Eligibility for BCA Course
To pursue a BCA programme, one need not have Physics, Chemistry and Maths as subjects in Class 12th. Infact, candidates who have pursued Arts or Commerce in class XII can also join the course.
Basic eligibility requirements for a BCA course:
- Aspirants must have passed 10+2 from any stream with English as a subject with minimum 45% to 55% marks in aggregate (the pass percentage might vary from college to college)
- While some colleges/universities admit aspirants on merit basis, the others admit students on the basis of personal interview and written examination.
BCA Jobs & Top Companies
In the ever growing IT industry, the demand for BCA graduates is increasing rapidly. With a BCA degree, candidates can find lucrative job opportunities in private as well public sector.
Some of the leading IT companies recruiting BCA graduates include Oracle, IBM, Infosys and Wipro. Government organizations like the Indian Air Force(IAF), Indian Army, and India Navy hire a large number of computer professionals for their IT department.
Some of the job profiles that one can bag after completing a BCA programme is that of a:
- System Engineer
- Software Tester
- Junior Programmer
- Web Developer
- System Administrator
- Software Developer
As far as the salary is concerned, a fresher working for a leading MNC might get a salary ranging from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 40,000 per month. However, it was reported that IT giants like Facebook, Microsoft etc pay a six figure salary to fresh graduates they hire.
What after BCA?
This is one of the most common questions asked by candidates. You could give an instant thrust to your career by pursuing MCA (Masters of Computer Applications) after BCA.
However, there are other options too that you could consider doing after completing your BCA degree:
- Prepare for CAT and go for an MBA in IT Management
- Complete your Master’s degree by studying MSC (IT)
- Go for a networking diploma and prepare for CCNP or CCNA certification
- Prepare for Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Certification or Redhat certifications and work as a System Administrator or Desktop Technician or Help desk Assistant.
- You could also improve your teaching skills and work as a computer teacher/instructor in school, universities and colleges
- If you are good in web programming then improve your coding skills and make your career in Web Development. You can also work as an independent web designer.
- A lot of BCA graduates also go for government jobs. You could consider one too.