What is BHMS (Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery)?
Homeopathy is a holistic medical system involving the treatment of patients by enhancing the body’s natural healing system. It is practised by trained homeopaths who are experienced and qualified to advise and prescribe medications as per their diagnosis. Homeopathy has carved a niche for itself among the various schools of medicine. Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery or BHMS is a graduate degree program in homeopathy that covers the knowledge of homeopathic medicine. Upon completion of this degree, students are eligible to become doctors in the homeopathic medical domain. Nowadays, homeopathic medicine study is being preferred by many students wanting to pursue a career in medicines, when compared to other medical courses.
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS)
The minimum eligibility for pursuing BHMS is X and XII qualifications from an approved educational board with Biology/Chemistry/Physics/English as the major subjects studied in class XII, with an aggregate score of at least 50 per cent. The minimum age limit prescribed is 17 years.
Required Skillset for Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS)
Homeopathy doctors require a unique set of skills to best serve their patients; some of which are inherent, and others which can be learned. Everyday duties will necessitate distinct skills, and by perfecting and refining these skills they can make themselves more competitive and their work will be much more attainable and enjoyable. The vital skills necessary for pursuing BHMS are as mentioned below
- Interest in promoting natural health and being proficient in homeopathic remedies
- Ability to explain complex ideas easily, and using logic/reasoning to identify the strengths/weaknesses of alternative solutions
- Ability to prioritise work and manage workload including the ability to work under pressure
- Building and developing excellent relationships with patients
- Emotional resilience and initiative and willingness to work in a pressured environment and challenging/stressful situations
- Enthusiastically looking for ways to help others and a compassionate/caring approach to other people’s feelings
- Giving full attention to what others are conveying, taking time in understanding the points stated, asking queries as apt, and avoiding untimely interruption
- Strong verbal and listening skills, an open mind and willingness to learn
- The ability to work efficiently as part of a multidisciplinary healthcare team
Course Duration and Admission Criteria for Pursuing Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS)
BHMS is an undergraduate academic degree course which covers medical knowledge of the homeopathic system. The duration of the course is 5.5 years which includes 4.5 years of study followed by 1 year of internship. Each student must undergo a compulsory rotating internship of one year, after passing the final BHMS examination. Thereafter only, the student shall be eligible for the award of the degree of BHMS by the respective college/university/institute.
Admission to BHMS course is done through the entrance exam. Candidates need to go through different entrance exams conducted at the state-level and national-level. Some of the entrance exams conducted for admissions to BHMS are:
- National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) & State wise Entrance Exam
Candidates are selected based on the marks obtained in the 12th final exam and the respective entrance exam, which is followed by a round of personal interview and group discussion. With this, the abilities and skills of candidates are judged and they are shortlisted. Candidates who are shortlisted can appear for further counselling rounds.
Course Curriculum for Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS)
BHMS course comprises theoretical and practical knowledge of the homeopathic medication system. The course curriculum cover topics such as Human Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Community Medicine, among others. The course includes a compendium of pre-clinical and clinical subjects.
Specialisations in Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS)
- Homeopathic Pharmacy
- Homeopathic Paediatrics
- Homeopathic Psychiatry
- Homeopathic Skin Specialist
- Homeopathic Infertility Specialist
Job Profile and Average Salaries
Over the years, the efficacy of homeopathic medicines has grown manifold; mainly due to the on-going research in this field. This has also led to a surge in the career opportunities it offers to students. There are bright job prospects in this field in India as well as overseas as these days people are looking for medical care which does not have side-effects.
|Homeopathic Doctor||Conducting medical tests, running diagnosis, treating patients and prescribing medicines.|
|Public Health Specialist||Analysing and developing programs to enhance the health of people.|
|Private Practitioner||Providing private services to their patients concerned with health, psychological issues, and other problems|
|Pharmacist||Owns a pharmacy and interprets the doctor’s prescription, and also identifies therapeutic incompatibilities.|
|Teacher/Lecturer||Teach courses in their subject area, prepare and deliver lectures and lead classroom discussions, assess students and grade them, arrange for outdoor medical camps.|
Employment Areas/Recruiters for BHMS
- Clinics/Nursing Homes/Hospitals (Private/Government)
- Medical Colleges/Research Institutes/Training Institutes
- Homeopathic Medicine Stores/Pharmacies
- Charitable Institutions/NGOs/Healthcare Community
- Life Science and Pharmaceutical Industries